Friday 8 July 2016

Running bootchart in Android Marshmallow

For the Wandboard that I was customizing I wanted to know the process statistics, processor usage and IO usage to speed up my boot up time. I decided it was time to run bootchart.

There is quite a bit of outdated Internet resources on how to use bootchart for Android. I decided to write one:

First enable bootchart by doing a adb shell "echo 120 > /data/bootchart/start". This would tell the init to start bootcharting for 2 minutes. After this you get a set of files in the /data/bootchart directory. The files are generally as follows:

header
kernel_pacct
proc_diskstats.log
proc_ps.log
proc_stat.log



Next run the shell program grab-bootchart.sh in system/core/init which will use the measurement files above into a visual file either .png, .swf which shows the different processes hogging the CPU and which processes take a long time to init. Before we conclude a boot chart below of my wandboard custom build (Click for a larger image or download it to zoom in).





Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits is, of course, in a state of sin.
 -Jon Von Neumann

No comments:

Post a Comment